Re: NMI

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:48:16AM +0200, Franz Reinhardt wrote:

> I'd like to implement a driver for an PC-like embedded system.
> The watchdog timer can generate SMI, NMI and IRQ's. One of them I would like
> for reboot, if an app or a driver hangs up. How can I implement an ISR for a
> NMI, which resets the system ?

You must hack do_nmi() in arch/i386/kernel/ to call your code. NMIs are delivered
statically to one location as set in traps.c

Alternatively, if you really really must, you can reset the NMI ISR in the IDT
to your own routine. This is really icky, and not recommended, but if you must :

http://oprofile.sf.net/

has code.

regards
john

--
" It is quite humbling to realize that the storage occupied by the longest line
from a typical Usenet posting is sufficient to provide a state space so vast