Re: File systems

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, D Cleveland wrote:

> 2) what is required to simply mount the file system?  i have the
> module compiling and it is showing up in the /proc/filesystems, but
> when i try a mount (i just wanna mount it - babysteps) i get a seg
> fault.  Then when i do a rmmod it says "Device or resource busy".  I
> have what i think is a fully working read_super function but do more
> functions need to be implemented?  (I am not attatching the source
> since its more then 10 lines, if you want a copy to better help then
> ill gladly send it.)

It happens that I'm also playing around with my own file system... largely
as a learning experience. Perhaps we should compare notes on or off list.
Although I feel very comfortable with C programming, I'm no expert when it
comes to Linux kernel stuff. I guess that's why I'm here.

Anyway, I've stolen... er... borrowed ideas from the implementation of
ext2. I notice that ext2's super block reading function attempts to also
load the inode for the root directory. This requires the read_inode method
to be implemented. I followed that lead and wrote up a quick and dirty
read_inode that seems to basically work. I can mount my file system
without error. All of my other methods are NULL right now, though, so I
get a variety of entertaining effects when I try to actually use my file
system.

Note: I previously wrote a usermode program that initialized my file
system so the partition I'm trying to mount should be in a valid state. It
was necessary for me to write such a program first because, in my case,
the design of my file system is my own. I'm not trying to implement
support for a file system created, for example, by another operating
system. Thus I needed something that I could use to test my file system
module.

Peter

-