Re: IDE or SCSI driver to control IDE devices

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 11:13:32AM -0700, Christine Ames wrote:

>    I have been tasked with porting a WinNT/2k SCSI Miniport driver to
>    Linux.  This driver manages one or more IDE controller(s) which plug
>    into the PCI bus.
>
>    After a couple of weeks of tracking down and reading all the
>    documentation I can get my hands on, this newbie is still unsure.
>    Currently, I understand that *if* the kernel has scsi emulation
>    enabled, a scsi "psuedo" driver could be used to control ide devices.

Not really.  The pseudo scsi driver is used for using highlevel SCSI
drivers (e.g. disk, tape, cdrom or generic for userspace access) on
top of IDE devices on IDE drivers.

>    How does one choose between writing an IDE driver, or a SCSI psuedo
>    driver?
>    Where can I find the pros/cons (if such a thing exists) of using an
>    IDE driver/SCSI driver to control our card?

Usually you have to write an IDE driver, but the kernel sourcetree
contains a driver for an IDE RAID device that appears as SCSI device to
Linux:  drivers/scsi/3w-xxxx.c

	Christoph

-