Re: Stale NFS file handles

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:34:39AM -0400, Jeff Sutherland wrote:
> We've suddently begun to have problems with NFS on linux-2.3.9-ac7.  I know,
> I know, we shouldn't have upgraded, but we wanted to move to Reiserfs for our
> server box.  Now the thing is giving us fits with random errors like the
> following:
>
> cvs import: WARNING: cannot change mode of file blah-blah,v: Stale NFS file
> handle
>
> This appears to be happening randomly on all mount points and on multiple
> clients of various kernel flavours from 2.2.14 to 2.4.8-ac5 and above.  No
> problems until we switched to ReiserFS although I'm hard pressed to see how
> that could have done it since I run Reiser at home over nfs without any
> problems whatsoever.  Unmounting and remounting the nfs directories on the
> client boxes and starting over again does not fix it, either.

There are (were?) a couple of problems exporting a reiserfs filesystem
over NFS. There is a patch for it available at www.namesys.com, but I'm
not sure if it's already in the -ac or linus -pre trees. I think your
best bet would be to ask on the linux-kernel list (be sure to include
"reiserfs" and "nfs" in the subject).

BTW: a workaround is to use CVS over ssh so the CVS server process will
run on your server box:

  export CVS_RSH=ssh
  export CVSROOT=:ext:jeff@server:/home/cvstree

Erik