Re: nft not logging some layer 2 frames?

On 27.05.24 г. 20:17 ч., William N. wrote:
On Mon, 27 May 2024 13:17:50 +0300 Teodor Milkov wrote:

I just tried putting log before counter and still nothing showing in
logs. But does order really matter?
Perhaps not. I just thought it might be worth trying.
What happens if you remove the counter and use only log?

I tried this:

table netdev xxx {
         chain ingress {
                 type filter hook ingress device "eth0" priority -600

                 counter
                 log prefix "TEST: "
                 drop
         }
}

and I ran 'arp' on the other end of the eth0 link. I can see logging
works, i.e. without specifying any particular protocol whatsoever.
Counter works too.

Yes, as stated in my original message:

"From a brief review of the source code, it appears that nftables might only log frames of certain known types like e.g. ipv4, ipv6 and arp."

So, if you have a way to test with some other type like STP, LLDP, CDP or similar, maybe you'll be able to reproduce the issue.