Re: Unit dependency of network-pre.target in nftables.service

Am 01.12.23 um 12:50 schrieb You Yu Lu:
Hello netfilter community,

I have a question regarding the dependency of nftables.service.
OS version: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
nftable package version: 1.0.2-1ubuntu2

In the default nftables.service unit file, it has a default dependency
that it needs to be started before network-pre.target at boot. Based
on my understanding, nftable rule are loaded before the network
interfaces are configured.
# /lib/systemd/system/nftables.service
[Unit]
Description=nftables
Documentation=man:nft(8) http://wiki.nftables.org
Wants=network-pre.target
Before=network-pre.target shutdown.target
Conflicts=shutdown.target
DefaultDependencies=no

What is the reason to start nftable service before networkd configured
by default?
Is this the intended behavior for nftable? Or is it fine to modify the
service unit file and change the dependency to fit different use
cases?

i would be interested to hear a use-case where you want fire up your network completly unprotected and after the damage ist done assign rules