Re: nf_nat_icmp_reply_translation dropped icmp redirect packet

> A -> B, A sends packet to R.  R has a DNAT rule to redirect to C
> (or redirect to R).
>
> If we let icmp redirect through, this won't work.

Thank you very much for your response.

I had previously encountered an issue with the correctness of the
ip_rt_send_redirect function when the firewall was disabled. I
overlooked the fact that the packet goes through DNAT in the
PREROUTING chain before entering the ip_rt_send_redirect function. In
my test environment, there were no DNAT policies, so I overlooked this
scenario.

Indeed, with the firewall enabled, DNAT rules will modify the
destination IP address, and sending ICMP redirects in such cases can
cause confusion. However, when the firewall is disabled, both SRC and
DST remain unchanged, so the kernel can safely send ICMP redirects.

Once again, thank you for your response.

Best regards.