Re: Iptables and DDoS attacks

For volumetric attacks (bandwidth), hardware routers/firewalls export flow analytics to a flow analyzer which then in turn has detection logic which triggers scripts. One example is triggering a script for a remotely triggered black hole (RTBH) which signals to upstream ISPs to drop traffic to the destination /32 host that is attacked. Other mitigation mechanisms include triggering traffic to be redirected to a scrubbing server to consume the attack and “scrub” the traffic clean and to redirect traffic to a low bandwidth “garbage” ISP connection intended to drop the attack at the edge.

In all cases, you cannot stop the attacks with simple iptables/nftable rules because they by nature need to drop packets AFTER they hit the wire which is too late.

The *right* solution for you would all depend on your network and goals. Happy to discuss more if you want to ping my company email directly as we implement this kind of thing regularly: jmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx