Re: iptables debian 11 package

On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 20:29:44 -0500
Matthew Ellquist <mellqui@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not sure why these packages are behaving differently -- I can't seem
> to figure it out. Maybe someone here can help.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/U2nN6QQ.png

The diagnostic message indicating that the 'filter' table is incompatible tells you at least three things.

Firstly, that the instance of iptables(8) that you have is of the variety that uses the nftables backend, rather than the traditional xtables backend.

Secondly, that an "ip filter" table has been loaded already, probably directly by nft(8). Running "nft list ruleset" will show it.

Thirdly, that the _present_ contents of this table are intrinsically incompatible with the use of iptables(8) in conjunction with the nftables backend (see https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/using-iptables-nft-hybrid-linux-firewall). It is for this reason that iptables(8) aborts and tells you that you should be using nft(8) instead.

Essentially, you need to commit to exclusively using either of nft(8) or iptables(8) to manage your ruleset, rather than attempt to use both at the same time (whether it was by accident or not). Simply installing and uninstalling packages won't flush the currently loaded ruleset and, therefore, won't address this issue.

--
Kerin Millar