RE: Linux netfilter / iptables : How to enable iptables TRACE chain handling with nf_log_syslog on RHEL8+?

Good day Florian -

  RE: you wrote:
  > Run "xtables-monitor --trace".

  Thanks for the info about xtables-monitor - yes, that does give alot
  of extra information about rule chain processing.

  But I'd just like to understand :
    Why does this work under kernel v6.2.16 and not under v4.18.0-477 ?
    :
    # iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING -p icmp -j TRACE
    # iptables -t raw -A OUTPUT -p icmp -j TRACE
    # modprobe nf_log_ipv4
    # echo nf_log_ipv4 > /proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_log/2

  How can I enable the 'nf_log_syslog' module, so that it does
  in fact emit TRACE kernel messages to syslog, as it purports
  to be able to do, under v4.18.0-477 ?

  xtables-monitor is great, it provides ALOT of information, but
  really I'd like to just trace packet ingress / egress to from
  interfaces, with messages written to syslog .  Has this functionality
  been disabled somehow from the 'nf_log_syslog' module in v4.18.0-477 ?
  If so, how can I enable it ?

  There is very little documentation about nf_log_syslog, besides that
  it is meant to take over everything done by ipt_LOG .

  ipt_LOG WAS meant to log packets that meet the rules on the TRACE
  chain to syslog, no ? So how can I enable that functionality only
  with nf_log_syslog under v4.18.0-477 ?

  I am reading its source code, it SEEMS like it should be getting
  triggered when 'sysctl netfilter.nf_log.2' is not NONE, no ?
  But the v4.18.0-477 version of it it is not doing so.  Why ?

Best Regards,
Jason