Re: nft list sets changed behavior

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 02:42:46 +0200
nft.ogxzcrqhuhgchbvxcs4j7wws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> After updating to Debian 12 my tools relying on 'nft -j list sets' fail.
> It now does not include the elements in those lists like it did on 11.
>
> Is this hidden behind an 'anti-terse' flag now?
>
> Web searches, the changelog on the site, and manpages didn't reveal
> anything.

Running `nft list sets` doesn't list elements either. Unfortunately, whatever the intended behaviour may be, it is not documented at all. The nft(8) page states that the "list" verb should "display the elements in the specified set", which can only describe the "list set [family] table set" syntax, rather than the "list sets [family]" syntax.

I agree with the implication that to have "list sets" include the elements, unless -t is given, would be more consistent and logical. I would suggest filing a bug for further discussion.

--
Kerin Millar