Help use parsing to get a promiscuous level

Hi,
I have a DPDK application holding some ports, and I want to have a
virtio_user port to interface with the kernel stack, For example, I
want to use tcpdump on a virtual interface. So I understand I need to
create a netlink listener which I did. And using some print statements
I am getting a packet on the netlink port when I try to use tcpdump on
the virtual interface.
My problem is that I can't figure out how to parse the packet. For
example I expect that calling TCP dump should trigger a packet to set
a promiscuous flag, and stopping tcpdump should trigger a packet to
disable promiscuous mode.

Currently from the example here:
git.netfilter.org/libmnl/tree/examples/rtnl/rtnl-link-event.c
I have a parser.
But this doesn't give any information. Any help on how to understand
this packet would be appreciated. I thought as there is a next
attribute and maybe nested attributes if I kept getting the next
attribute I might get to the promiscuous flag (30), but I am printing
like 100 of those per packet. And from what I read the payload also
has attributes. This might be a stupid question but any help on
understanding this would be appreciated.

I tried to attach snippets of code but the mail system seems to have blocked it.