Re: How to configure "full cone" NAT using iptables

Am 16.05.23 um 17:13 schrieb Joshua Moore:
Well, looking at it from the *correct* interpretation, is that even possible with IPTABLES as well? Does IPTABLES support a way to relax the connection tracking?

irrelevant - look at the OP

he wants "full cone" without understanding what that means and hence there is nothing like a "correct interpretation"

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 8:11 AM Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Am 16.05.23 um 16:59 schrieb Joshua Moore:
     > Full cone isn’t about accepting incoming connections on the same
    public IP:port and then translating to different local IPs. This is
    a misunderstanding. It’s about accepting connections from different
    REMOTE IPs and allowing it to the same local IP on the same original
    source port.

     > The practical purpose here is for a more transparent connection
    and allowing NAT pinholes to poke a hole through the firewall so any
    destination on the Internet can now communicate on that port to the
    host.

    i know that but the OP seems to think it's some magic bullet which
    makes
    his multiple machines reachable with a single public-ip

    see his ruleset which can't work no matter what
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.1
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.2

     >> On May 16, 2023, at 7:48 AM, Reindl Harald
    <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     >>> Am 16.05.23 um 16:32 schrieb Joshua Moore:
     >>> “Full cone” NAT simply means that there is no longer a strict
    connection tracking or enforcement of what IPs can connect back to
    the ports that are associated with the internal IP.
     >>> Traditional NAT:
     >>> - TCP connection to 1.1.1.1 from 192.168.1.10 over outside
    translated TCP source port 45619. All packets destined to port 45619
    MUST come from 1.1.1.1.
     >>> Full cone NAT:
     >>> - TCP connection to 1.1.1.1 from 192.168.1.10 over outside
    translated TCP source port 45619. All packets destined to port 45619
    are allowed from ANY IP.
     >>> Another word for this behavior is “endpoint independent”
    NAT/filtering.

     >> but it can not work like that which don't make any sense:
     >> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j DNAT --to-destination
    10.0.0.1
     >> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j DNAT --to-destination
    10.0.0.2

     >> offlist the OP pointed me to
    https://github.com/Chion82/netfilter-full-cone-nat
    <https://github.com/Chion82/netfilter-full-cone-nat> where i ask
    myself who needs that nonsense which sounds to be written by someone
    which hasn't more clues about networking/NAT the the OP

    <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3489> = STUN

     >> so who needs that module?

     >> restore WHAT based on WHAT for new packets?
     >>
     >> it's simple: when you only have a single public IP there is no
    way to accept NEW incoming packets to different local machines
    without explicit port-forwarding

    <lists.netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:lists.netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> [...]
    understanding of what 'full cone' means, every internal address
    needs a separate external address to be fully mapped to it. Your
    example shows that you have one external address