iptables 1.4.16.3 on a Zyxel Router: NOTRACK / CT --notrack not available

Hello!

I have a Zyxel NR7101 5G router. This device has to handle a lot of sessions and we had events in the past, where the conntrack table was full, leading to dropping new sessions. An other issue is, that the device can only handle ~250 new sessions per second. (At 250 sessions/s one CPU core is completely utilized and it starts sending pause frames).

Since we don't need any firewalling for the traffic that is only routed through the device I wanted to disable connection tracking for some connections to reduce the size of the conntrack table and hopefully increase the amount of new sessions that the device can handle) However neither the NOTRACK target nor the --notrack option for the CT target are available.

Here are a couple of infos regarding the OS/Kernel/iptables version:

root@NR7101:~# uname -a
Linux NR7101 3.10.14 #1 SMP Tue Nov 29 09:49:05 CST 2022 mips GNU/Linuxroot@NR7101:~# iptables -V
iptables v1.4.16.3

When I am trying to add rules to disable tracking I get the following errors:

root@NR7101:/# iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING -d 1.2.3.4 -j CT --notrack
iptables v1.4.16.3: unknown option "--notrack"
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
root@NR7101:/# iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING -d 1.2.3.4 -j NOTRACK
iptables v1.4.16.3: Couldn't find target `NOTRACK'

Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Since this is a small embedded device man pages and other nice things one would expect from a modern linux distribution are usually not available.

From what I found while digging through the change logs, at least one of the notrack options was available in iptables 1.4.16.3. However the device does not know them. Might this be a compile-time option and the feature was simply left out by the manufacturer? Or do I have to load a kernel module explicitly? Is there any way to get this working?

One workaround for the first issue would be to increase the conntrack table and hashsize, there is some RAM available, but it is not limitless.

Greetings and thank you very much
Jo