From: Kerin Millar <kfm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 2, 2021 9:36 PM
To: Jeff <jnewman67@xxxxxxx>
Cc: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: netfilter 10,000' overview

(re-copying the list into CC ...)

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 21:22:46 -0400
"Jeff" <jnewman67@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> Looking at the Redhat article you linked to, it appears that Fedora
> implements nftables under iptables, which I assume affect the
> nf_tables ruleset.  However, it mentions the inclusion of xtables
> utilities, but it appears those are just used to convert xtable-like
> rules compatible with nf_tables.  So it appears nf_tables  is the
underlying ruleset.

Since Fedora 32, apparently.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/iptables-nft-default

On such a system, you may find it interesting to compare the output of
"iptables-save" and "nft list ruleset".

> I'll do some learning on how to make rules in nftables, and get some
> of my scripts converted over, and see how I get along.

See, also, "iptables-translate" and "iptables-restore-translate". While not
perfect, they are definitely useful.

--
Kerin Millar