Re: conntrack: confirm existing but do not create new entries

Eugene Crosser <crosser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My use case is to set up a stateful firewall allowing any outgoing connection
> from a host, and restricting incoming, which obviously requires conntracking.
> The twist is that there exists a rather high probability of DoS-like incoming
> traffic, that easily overflows conntrack table with unconfirmed entries, even
> though their lifetime is very short.

Create a rule that drops NEW packets in prerouting hook. For iptables,
mangle will work (raw is too early).  For nftables, youl need to choose
a hook prioriy of -199 or higher (-198, ... to anything below 2**31).

Such packets will create a new connection entry, but because packet gets
dropped before confirmation the entry will not be committed to the table.