Re: Why aren't INPUT and FORWARD chains available to a locally-generated packet?

Am 12.08.21 um 03:37 schrieb Harry:
On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 2:39 AM Florian Westphal <fw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Harry <simonsharry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 7:59 PM Florian Westphal <fw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I guess, my confusion is: Even if routing happens before OUTPUT, why
in the Netfilter Packet Flow diagram above there is no arrow going to
mangle:INPUT *also* apart from the raw:OUTPUT arrow already shown in
the diagram?

Because packets never move directly from OUTPUT to INPUT.
packet is out on the wire!

In the current diagrams and explanations -- obviously yes!

I guess, the gist or the spirit of my original question was (and still
is): It would've been more consistent and logical, and /more 'elegant'
to have had Netfilter make the packet go through the same chains
(either INPUT or FORWARD) once the (very first) routing decision has
been taken on it.

again: it's no INPUT when you talk to a foreign machine
again: it's no FORWARD when you are not a router

when you are talking to 127.0.0.1 *it is* INPUT on "lo" and it can be filtered, my webservers can't talk to samba on the same machine

when you talk to other machines with locally-generated packets it's for the sake of god OUTPUT