Re: IP Addresses Changed to Hostnames in IPTables

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 16:47:46 -0400
slow_speed@xxxxxxx wrote:

> On 6/28/21 4:36 PM, Kerin Millar wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:57:30 -0400
> > slow_speed@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >> I created a ruleset in iptables and it was saved in
> >> /etc/iptables.up.rules as expected.  However, when viewing the file, all
> >> IP addresses had been translated to hostnames.
> >>
> >> Why would it ever do such a thing, when I had entered them as IP
> >> addresses and they would have to be converted to IP addresses anyway?
> >
> > Here's how it works. One may supply hostnames to iptables/iptables-restore but they will be resolved at the point that the rule/ruleset is loaded into the kernel. If using `iptables -L` to list the currently loaded ruleset, reverse DNS lookups will be performed upon IP addresses before displaying. This behaviour can be suppressed by also using the -n option. As for `iptables -S` and `iptables-save`, neither of these will perform reverse DNS lookups.
> >
> > In summary, it's not at all clear how you ended up with hostnames in your iptables.up.rules file. Can you reduce this phenomonen to a simple, well-defined test case?
> >

> Okay, I was incorrect.  The viewing of the file showed just numbers.  It
> was the iptables -L that caused the misinformation.  It should
> definitely default to -n.  That is a big issue to the new person in this
> area.  Bad programming strikes again.
>
> Thank you so much for pointing that out.  I will add that to my
> instructions.

The -L format is deficient in several respects. About the only thing it's good for is displaying counters (with -v), yet iptables-save already does this. My suggestion would be to avoid -L outright. If you want to list rules with iptables instead of iptables-save, the -S option is much more useful.

Also, please use Reply All next time. I am adding the list back to the CC field.

--
Kerin Millar