Re: Matching streaming services

----- Mensagem original -----
De: "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Para: david@xxxxxxxxx, "netfilter" <netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 6 de janeiro de 2021 16:15:18
Assunto: Re: Matching streaming services

Am 06.01.21 um 19:44 schrieb david@xxxxxxxxx:
> On Mikrotik routers there is possibility of burst rate setting that
> determines whether it is simple web surfing or continuos data stream.

and how do you imagine distinct between a large download which can
finished one hour later and nobody cares or streaming?

and whenever you manage it - it's something that need to be fixed and
changed ASAP sou will have a moving target

> I think it is possible also in iptables and may be also in
> nftables...unsure, whether you need some additional modules or not.
>

> On 06/01/2021 19:05, Nikolai Lusan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been looking for a way to differentiate traffic from streaming
>> services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, <insert_locally_available_service>)
>> from other https traffic, with not much luck. The goal is to add rules
>> to nftables and tc to ensure quality while allowing the rest of the
>> link to function normally.
>>
>> I tried using tcpdump to see if there was something in the packets that
>> I could use, but they look like any other bit of https traffic.
>>
>> Does anyone have a method for determining which http/https traffic is
>> streaming video, and which is not?

Humm well as https is a application you could use squid + bump + delay pools (MITM), but it is out of nftables...