Re: Correction to nftables wiki

Hi there,

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020, Brian Pond wrote:

... I've been working a lot on firewall tooling this past year.
It's been much easier (and better) using nftables versus the legacy
iptables system.

Do you think that you could jot down the main reasons that you've
found for the improvements?  Mail to the list would be fine for me.

I ask because I've found the change in syntax quite bewildering, and,
whenever I want to do more or less anything, most of the time I don't
even know where to start using nft commands so I find myself reverting
to iptables - because I can do that without really thinking about it,
and get the job done.  I don't know that I'd ever want to do anything
that I could do with nft that I couldn't do with iptables.  I don't
even know if there are such things, nor what those things might be.  I
have no clue if the things I do could be more efficient with nft.

If it will make any difference to your observations for my purposes,
typically I use just iptables and ipsets; a couple of dozen iptables
rules, for example

# iptables -L BLOCKSET --line-numbers
Chain BLOCKSET (1 references)
n targ prot opt source dest 1 DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET08 src
2  DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET09 src
3  DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET10 src
4  DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET11 src
5  DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET12 src
6  DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET13 src
7  DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET14 src
8  DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET15 src
9  DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET16 src
10 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET17 src
11 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET18 src
12 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET19 src
13 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET20 src
14 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET21 src
15 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET22 src
16 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET23 src
17 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET24 src
18 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET25 src
19 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET26 src
20 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET27 src
21 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET28 src
22 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET29 src
23 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET30 src
24 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET31 src
25 DROP tcp  --  anywhere anywhere match-set BLOCKSET32 src

and a few tens of thousands of ipset matches to DROP packets from the
more troublesome netblocks.  The ipsets are created by a boot script,
then (most of the time) populated automatically by a Sendmail milter
as mail is processed; for example when some joker tries to send HTTP
requests to the mail server his IP will be DROPped for a few days.

There are timeouts on most of the ipset entries.  The main issue I've
found is that there's an approximately 25 day limit on the timeout, so
if I want something longer I have to jump through some hoops, but it's
no big deal.

Happy New Year!

The same to you, and all.

--