Re: re-routing multicast pkts after mangle table marking

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 02:56:24PM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 1:19 PM Marcin Szewczyk <marcin.szewczyk@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:
> > Brian Aanderud on 23 Mar 2015 wrote:
> > > What must I do to get the multicast frames routed out a 'different'
> > > interface from the default one after applying a fwmark in iptables the
> > > routing table?  I am able to do this with unicast with a combination
> > > of 'ip rule', 'ip route' to a different table, and iptables to apply a
> > > 'mark'.  But, the marked multicast frames never seem to follow the
> > > other routing table's routes.
> > > [...]
> >
> > I've stumbled upon the same problem as the one discussed over 5 years
> > ago (with no answer) on this mailing list[1], ie. locally generated
> > multicast and broadcast traffic do not seem to follow policy routing
> > when it is constructed using `iptables --set-mark` and `ip rule fwmark`.
> > [...]
> > Can anyone suggest if I am trying to do something that just should not
> > work, am I missing some small but vital detail or is it some kind of a
> > bug?
> >
> > [...]
> > [1]: https://marc.info/?l=netfilter&m=142714167809246&w=2
> > [2]:
> > https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Netfilter-packet-flow.svg
>
> You are both trying to route multicast traffic, so wouldn't `ip mroute' be
> appropriate and not `ip route' ?
>
> I have not tried it, but it is a different routing table all together.

I have looked at it but ip-mroute(8) on my Debian says:
> mroute objects are multicast routing cache entries created by a
> user-level mrouting daemon (f.e.  pimd or mrouted ).
>
> Due to the limitations of the current interface to the multi‐
> cast routing engine, it is impossible to change mroute objects
> administratively, so we can only display them. This limitation
> will be removed in the future.

I have tried playing with smcroute but with no success.

I wasn't sure if mroute and friends is for locally generated traffic or
for forwarding of multicast inbound traffic.

Is broadcast (eg. 255.255.255.255) treated like multicast in the Linux
kernel? I thought that because of IGMP and membership management they
are quite separate.

--
Marcin Szewczyk
http://wodny.org