Re: nftables iifname and currently unknown interfaces

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:37:58PM +0200, Robert Sander wrote:
> Hi.
>
> with iptables it was possible to specify "-i ifacename" even when the
> interface was currently not available.
>
> nft bails out with an error:
>
> ./nft:225:1-75: Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory
> add rule ip filter FORWARD iifname bond0.16 oifname bond0.42 accept
>
> We are generating a single firewall configuration for a number of
> firewalls with different interfaces. How do we migrate to nftables?

Strange, that rule works fine here and I don't have such device.

iifname allows you match on the device name, so such interface does
not need to be available.

What nft version and kernel are you using there?

Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory
add rule ip filter FORWARD iifname bond0.16 oifname bond0.42 accept
            ^^^^^^

With relatively recent nft userspace and kernel, you should get
context on why the ENOENT error is displayed.

Either by missing table like above, or missing chain:

Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory
add rule ip filter FORWARD iifname bond0.16 oifname bond0.42 accept
                   ^^^^^^^

What nft version are you using?

Then, moving forward, a general error means that some of your kernel
components in missing. Did you compile kernel, if so, could you also
post your .config file for your kernel?