Upgrading libnetfilter_queue to use nftables

Hi all,

I'm using Debian 9 (stretch) and saw that the current version (Debian 10, buster) transparently installs nftables instead of iptables, offering to switch back by setting alternatives.

I'm worried how smoothly an upgrade would go.  I have calls similar to these:

iptables -A INPUT -j NFQUEUE

or

iptables -t raw -A OUTPUT -p tcp ! --syn -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 2
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp ! --syn -m mark --mark 4 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

There is a user space filter reading queued packets and issuing verdicts.  It is linked to libnetfilter_queue, libnfnetlink and libmnl.

Does automatic translation work fine in this case?

Do I have (better) to relink, recompile, and/or rewrite the user space packet filter in order to use nftable?  How simple is that?

TIA
Ale