Named sets with timeout

Dear nft Forum,
I’m a big friend of named sets, specially the timeout function is very great.
But one thing is confusing me, assume the following named:

table ip filter_v4 {
  set my_drop {
    type ipv4_addr
    flags timeout
  }
}

Then i add the following sample element to it:
/usr/sbin/nft add set ip filter_v4 my_drop \{type ipv4_addr \; flags timeout \; elements=\{a.b.c.d timeout 600s \} \;\}

All good so far, a.b.c.d is counting down as expected, begiing with 10min. But when i wait - say 1 minute and repeat the 'nft add set ... 600s' command from above then the timer remains unchanged (?) It looks as the timer cannot get changed anymore once it has been initialized

Is this behavior by purpose?
And if, am I right to delete the element and re-assign it if I want to get the timer updated?

Many thanks
Matt