iptables TEE target and system slowdown

Hi,

I'm trying to send a copy of part of my traffic (on a router) to an IDS host.

I use this command:

# iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o enp5s0.11 -j TEE --gateway 10.215.246.15

I'm connected to the IDS host at 10.215.246.15 both via ssh and direct console.
This host's NIC is working at 1000Mb/s according to ethtool.

If I run tcpdump or iptraf-ng on the IDS's NIC then I see lots of
packets (duplicates), so at first it seems to be working fine.
However, it soon comes to a crawl and freezes for a while. It then
works again, but freezes several times again too. And so on...

CPU and RAM are apparently fine according to top.

iptraf-ng reports peaks around 75Mb/s right before the screen freezes
(when I say "freezes" I mean that the ssh session is totally frozen
and can even expire if it lasts too long, but the direct console works
fine, except iptraf-ng stops showing packet counters, etc..).
So I'm still far away from the 1000Mb/s link speed.

How can I further debug this?
Is the system/NIC truly overwhelmed with packets? How can I be sure about this?

Thanks,

Vieri