Backwards compatibility with iptables etc.

A very general question about nftables:
On the project homepage it says 'nftables replaces the popular
{ip,ip6,arp,eb}tables...' and on another page it says that nftables
replaces ipset as well. What is not clear to me: when another
application relies on iptables etc., and iptables is replaced by
nftables, there must be an interface that provides backwards
compatibility and allows the other application to invoke iptables with
the traditional syntax. I've been reading through the 'Legacy xtables
tools' page (https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Legacy_xtables_tools)
and it seems to me that this would do the job, but I'm not quite sure.
I also don't understand whether the legacy xtables tools are part of
nftables or a separate package.
Thanks a lot,

Hans