Re: chain comments

Trent W. Buck <trentbuck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In nftables, I can have comments on a rule,
> just like the old "iptables -m comment --help":
>
>     table x {
>       chain y {
>         ct state vmap @z comment "quickly allow known flows"
>       }
>     }
>
> I want to add comments to the chain itself, e.g.

Not possible, comments are attached to rules.

>     table x {
>       chain y {
>         comment "input and filter chains call this first,"
>         comment "to quickly deal with packets we should always allow."
>         comment "this comment lines are NOPs that never match"
>         ct state ...
>       }
>     }
>
> But the parser doesn't like this.

Its not enough to extend the parser, we will need to add
NFTA_CHAIN_COMMENT, extend the parser so it can understand that
chain foo {
	comment bar
	comment foo baz
	ct ...

means it should pass 'bar\nfoo baz' as a string to the kernel via
new NFTA_CHAIN_COMMENT attribute.

Then, we'll also need to extend delinarization so nft can display
the comment back to the user.

> ...but obviously that's undesirable.
> Are there "always true" and "always false" matchers, like this?
>
>         false comment "input and filter chains call this first,"
>
> I couldn't see one in parser_bison.y.

No, you will need to use an actual rule, e.g. meta iifname "wontmatch"
or similar.