Re: looking for help on applying fec to packets on an interface

On 2/26/19 17:22, dan wrote:
zrm, I'm not a programmer (or a very good one) and I'm not really
looking to write something, I'm more hoping I can just use iptables to
apply FEC on any packet that goes out an interface and 'unFEC'
anything coming in from that interface.  Fine to assume the same on
the other side.  I want the FEC *inside* the tunnel, ie I want any
flaws in the like to show up on the regular interface so I can monitor
it.  Packets going over wireguard would be 'FEC'd.

Is this something that's doable without write code?

FEC is most commonly built into protocols where it makes sense, e.g. the IEEE 802.11 data link layer or some realtime streaming protocols. Using these is a matter of configuring it on the sender and receiver (or they just do it automatically) and netfilter doesn't really have anything to do with it. Consult the documentation for whatever is sending/receiving the packets to see if this is the case for you.

If not and you want to do it anyway, you need some kind of generic FEC protocol to supplement or encapsulate the packets you want to FEC. This is not a netfilter thing either, you either need to create it or find someone who already has. There may or may not be an existing one, I'm not aware of any but that doesn't mean there isn't one.