flowtable in only one direction ?

I'm using flowtable for udp voip packets:

table ip filter {
         flowtable f {
        hook ingress priority 0 devices = { external , internal };
        }
        chain FORWARD {
         udp dport { iax, 10000-65000 } flow offload @f

I'm having some issues with this, which sent me to read the docs more closely.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/nf_flowtable.txt
gives a similar example:

table inet x {
   flowtable f {
      hook ingress priority 0 devices = { eth0, eth1 };
   }

chain y {
                        type filter hook forward priority 0; policy accept;
                        ip protocol tcp flow offload @f

and then says:

The 'flow offload' action from the forward chain 'y' adds an entry to the
flowtable for the TCP syn-ack packet coming in the reply direction.

key words: "in the reply direction" ! Why in only one direction ? I
would have thought it would be both directions. (In fact, I would have
thought all TCP packets, not just syn-ack packets, would go through
the flowtable bypass, which doesn't seem like a good idea.)

If only one direction, is the direction specified by the order of the
interfaces in the flowtable definition ?   eth0 -> eth1 ? So for both
directions, you need 2 flowtables ? I'd like the voip udp packets to
use the flowtable in both directions.

sean