weird issue with ebtables-restore

Hi all,
I've got an odd issue with ebtables-restore. When I run this command (via /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/ebtables start), I get the message

Unable to update the kernel. Two possible causes:
1. Multiple ebtables programs were executing simultaneously. The ebtables
  userspace tool doesn't by default support multiple ebtables programs running
  concurrently. The ebtables option --concurrent or a tool like flock can be
  used to support concurrent scripts that update the ebtables kernel tables.
2. The kernel doesn't support a certain ebtables extension, consider
  recompiling your kernel or insmod the extension.
.

However I know it is not #1, and #2 isn't the case either as it works fine if I explicitly run ebtables on each line of /etc/ebtables.conf. Any thoughts?
I've got output of strace on ebtables-restore on the following link: https://pastebin.com/giVp8rTL

Software versions: ebtables 2.0.10_4-7, linux 4.20.6.arch1-1, arch linux.
-Michael.