Re: synack packet invalid when client reconnecting with same src port because out of window?

Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote on Thu, Jan 31, 2019:
> Unfortunately a full packet dump is required. I mean, it should contain
> the full previous successful connection and the next failing one. Only the
> IP/TCP headers are required, without the payload and the IP addresses can
> be munged.

Ok, pretty much what I expected and the reason I've been trying to
reproduce all this time. Not much I can do until I get this right; I'll
repost once I have something.

Any idea why nf_conntrack_log_invalid doesn't say anything in dmesg?
looking at the code, the only place where tcp_be_liberal makes a
difference is followed by a nf_ct_l4proto_log_invalid() call so it feels
like I'm missing something...
(ugh, I really should look at the correct version of the code - in that
version it's LOG_INVALID(net, IPPROTO_TCP) + nf_log_packet())

> Where does the firewall run? On the clients? So the kernel version
> 3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64 for the firewall itself, doesn't it?

Both server and client run the same 3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64 kernel
with the default firewalld rules, i.e. iptables -S INPUT is:
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -j INPUT_direct
-A INPUT -j INPUT_ZONES_SOURCE
-A INPUT -j INPUT_ZONES
-A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP
-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

with some ports accepted in the INPUT_* chains etc

Flushing iptables on the server doesn't change anything, flushing it on
the client does allow reconnecting - so it's obviously the client's
conntrack that is busted.

Thanks,
--
Dominique