Re: nftables nft nested loops

On 2018-11-18 6:31 p.m., Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
On 2018-11-17 2:44 p.m., Florian Westphal wrote:
Jeremy Jackson <jerj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a bash script which implements zone-based iptables firewall rules
similar to firewalld or Cisco PIX.  The key ingredient is the ability to
iterate over  a list of network interfaces, to create chains and rules for
every input to output interface combination:

I would like to do this with the nft utility or at least with a libnftables
C library based utility.

Would a contributed looping construct be welcomed into the nft utility?  It
already has variables.  A minimal implementation would be a single keyword
"permute-interfaces $iif $oif"
I find it hard to answer without any context of what this would look
like.

In/Out Combinations would normally look similar to this:

add rule filter forward meta iif . meta oif { "eth0" . "ppp0", "eth0 .  "veth0" }

(instead of { ... }, a named set could be used that can then be changed
The iteration is what generates that set on the fly. Example:

Given the set of interfaces in a named set $ifset { eth0, eth1, ppp0 }, the
statement
OK, so goal is some sort of macro expansion if I understand correctly.

I would like to avoid having to load another language interpreter to do such
a trivial thing, when nft already has a parser built in.
Yes, having built-in stuff is the way to go. Note sure this is the
best way to express this. We can probably introduce loops for
expansions and add some built-in function to permute on a list of any
arbitrary datatype.

I would prefer we explore this rather than starting to add
datatype-specific macro-like features.

I agree in principle and I did think of that... OTOH I might not have the patience to do that so I thought about a compromise, maybe for proof of concept?

In any case, I will begin by adapting my bash script, migrating as much as possible to nftables scripts, by using variables, include files, etc.  Then it should be obvious the minimum required permutation function.

I'm hoping to find it is possible to include the same file multiple times, changing some variables before each inclusion.  If so then the required changes to nft should be minimal.