Re: Netfilter hook doesn't see mDNS packets

On 07/05/2018 09:14 PM, Psyspy rambo wrote:
Hello,

I am working on a kernel module in a Router that hooks into
NF_INET_PRE_ROUTING to capture mDNS packets. Unfortunately, it doesn't
see any packet. Interestingly, when tcpdump is running in promiscuous
mode, the kernel module sees mDNS packets.  One would think that these
multicast packets will be visible at least to PRE_ROUTING hook, then
the routing code may either drop it or send it to other hooks. Any
reason netfilter doesn't see these multicast packets? I would
appreciate any ideas to resolve this issue.

Thanks.

Switches should only forward multicast packets to hosts that subscribe to the destination multicast address. Promiscuous mode causes the switch to forward all the packets regardless.