SYNPROXY, packet loss, and window sizes

Hi all,

We've been running into some trouble using SYNPROXY in a scenario
where there's some packet loss outside of our network.

Regularly, when a client connects to a server using SYNPROXY, a TCP
handshake is performed where the server sends window size of 0. The
client responds with an ACK, the server sends a window update and we
can start using the connection. We're running into trouble where the
following situation occurs:

Client --SYN--> Server
Server --SYN-ACK--> Client
Client --ACK--> Server **LOST**

After the ACK from the client to the server is lost, no window update
is ever sent to the client, so no data is transmitted across the
connection. The client starts sending keepalive packets and eventually
times out.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

-Remy