Re: conntrack and ICMP echo replies not showing as ESTABLISHED

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 21:56:07 +0000
André Paulsberg-Csibi (IBM Consultant)         <Andre.Paulsberg-Csibi@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As far as I can tell - ESTABLISHED - is only for session based protocols like TCP .
> You will not see that for UDP or ICMP , as far as CONNTRACK is concerned .

With netfilter, there are five connection states: NEW, RELATED, ESTABLISHED, INVALID and RAW.
  - A NEW packet is the first packet of a new peer-to-peer communication connection
    (a conn), be it TCP, SCTP, UDP, GRE, or any other protocol.
  - A RELATED packet is the first packet of a new conn that netfilter determined is
    related to an existing conn (the data conn of an FTP conn, for example).
  - When two-way communication is established with a reply packet, the conn's state
    changes to ESTABLISHED.
  - INVALID packets are those that netfilter has received but has no idea what to do
    with them; they are packets that can only belong to an ESTABLISHED conn but it can
    find no such conn in its database.
  - I think RAW packets are those that netfilter has been told not to process; but I'm
    not sure of this as I've never had reason to use RAW packets.

In netfilter, 'connection' is not related to connection-oriented protocols. It has to do with the relationship--the logical connection--between two endpoints on a LAN or on some internetwork of them. It is much like two people talking on a walkie-talkie, two people exchanging TXT MSGs, or two people talking on a phone that has a circuit-switched connection set up between them.