Re: Why are two hash tuples stored for each connection in the connection tracking system?

Le 03/10/2017 à 14:32, Will Sewell a écrit :

This makes me still unclear on how conntrack figures out that the
original and reply packets are related. e.g. from the information in
the packet entering netfilter in the reply direction, how can it
determine that it is part of the same connection as the packet
entering netfilter in the original direction. I'll try and figure this
out and reply to this thread if I do.

Quite simple. After conntrack has seen the first original packet leave, it knows what a reply packet should look like when it enters. Roughly, a packet entering netfilter in the reply direction is the reverse of a packet leaving netfilter in the original direction.