Re: Using sets for protocols ?

Hi Eric and Noel,

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 8:11 PM, Eric Leblond <eric@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Well, there is a series of mistakes here. First, usual way to write the
> rules is to have one rule for established packets (that can also
> include related)
>
>  add rule filter input ct state established accept
>  add rule filter output ct state established accept
>
> This rule will take care of all replies and other packets. The only
> thing you have to do after that is to accept packet that open a
> exchange.
>
> As you want to allow dns resolution, you need to open dns trafic:
>
>  add rule filter output ct state new udp dport domain accept
>
> Client don't use TCP often but you will indeed need a extra rule if
> ever ou want to:
>
>   add rule filter output ct state new tcp dport domain accept

Ok, thanks for the correction regarding style.

Out of curiosity - was the original syntax I specified logically incorrect (in the sense that there would be errors in my firewall ruleset), as well as being poor style ?

I want to follow the convention, I'm just wondering if the way I am forming rules can lead to errors as well.

Thanks,

- J