RE: Filtering content inside packets , specifically RELATED data in the various ICMP TYPE 3 packets

APC >> Now the problem is to create a rule that would perform this task , but looking at the module for string match
APC >> and searching google has left me a bit unsure if I am going in the right direction ...

PH  > The u32 match may be more precise as it allows to match a pattern at a specific offset.

Thank you , I will search "iptables u32 match" on google :-)

APC >> Since the IPTABLES normally can find this data in its RELATED function in the STATE-MODULE ,

PH  > Conntrack is independent of iptables.
PH  > Conntrack sets the state, and iptables just checks it.

I was hoping it was not so , but this explains why I have not found options for this so far .

PH  > But I'd like to ask why do you bother to log such packets ?

I am not sure I 100% understand what exactly you are asking , since I want to remove these from my logs ...
... I will assume you are asking generally why I log INVALID / OUT-OF-STATE packets .

The reason is simple , if there is some kind of TIME-OUT issue , you will in most cases find it almost immediately with a fast look in the LOG .
and you will not have to create some massive tcpdump / pcap files to investigate why something is not working or being broken .

Logging level is also adjusted for this for most systems that have to be PCI-DSS compliant ,
or at least the general "understanding" or conception is that such is needed .
This typically means that all systems follow the same standard , even when it does not have to be PCI-DSS compliant at the moment or ever .

Best regards
André Paulsberg-Csibi
Senior Network Engineer
Fault Handling