nf_conntrack_sip regression?

Hello,

I am having a problem with iptables rules that used to work with
kernel 4.6, but does not anymore with 4.8 (I think I skipped 4.7)

I have a machine running asterisk, and the idea was to use
connecting tracking to dynamically allow incoming packets, esp,
sip related rtp data.

So I have some rule in the tables:
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 19781 packets, 3776K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
   86 48515 CT         udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:sip CT helper sip

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 10950 packets, 1223K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

Chain INPUT (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
14969 3316K ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED

This input rule used to match incoming rtp packets when initiating
a sip call from the local asterisk, but now it does not match
anymore.

Did something change with netfilters?
Is this supposed to work at all?
What other concept would work for this setup?

Thanks for a hint,

Joerg