Re: iptables TCP DDoS filtering

On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 10:45:40 -0700
alvin.ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> hi antonio
>
> On 07/06/16 at 05:36pm, Antonio Prado wrote:
> >
> > at BGP level, when an AS is DDoSed with a 10Gbps rate (or maybe more),
>
> 10Gbps ( bits/sec ) is not that big of an ISP but still not ez to DDoS
>
> it seems, some of the ISPs like to use RTBH for DDoS mitigation, but,
> that'd still imply they received the DDoS packets in order that they
> can /dev/null it ...
>
> i wonder why they don't traceroute back to the original attacker
> and have the local law enforcement come knocking on the door ..
> i ISP know where all the packets is coming from that they in turn
> fwd to the next hop

Because it's distributed. Mayhap they send bad packets 'from' your IP to servers around the world, and those servers reply to your IP; this type of DDoS could be mostly prevented by ISPs rejecting packets that could not have originated from their networks. Mayhap they use a 'bot farm.

The only real positive action one can take is to drop, without logging, INVALID packets as early as possible: in the first rule in mangle:PREROUTING. They are not, and cannot be, associated with a valid conn, cannot be sent anywhere and, thus should be dropped as soon as they are identified as INVALID. (In fact, there ought to be a netfilter /proc or /sys control to do this, akin to the 'drop ICMP ECHO packets' control.) NEW packets can be rate-limited, perhaps to 100%-200% of normal expected traffic. Outside that, the only recourse is to ask the upstream provider to rate-limit downlink data to you until the DDoS subsides; this will only reduce the load on your server and free up some bandwidth.

Years ago, I was asked to put a load on a web server (vBulletin); the admin was tracking down a problem. With a mere 3Mb/s uplink, I was able to bring the server to its knees using my Debian desktop system. It doesn't necessarily take much to DDoS a system; there was a popular firewall system on which bootup and shutdown could be delayed (or frozen) with a mere 51k byte/s traffic load on any interface.