two bridges back-to-back with veth pairs, SNAT not working and traffic goes missing ?

Hi

I was testing what i thought to be a simple setup with two bridges
connected back to back with veth pairs and then iptables doing SNAT
but for some reason the traffic goes AWOL and tcpdump output is quite
strange.

I posted full details of the problem here
http://superuser.com/questions/1035443/rp-filter-not-working-still-get-martian-errors-and-dropped-traffic/
hoping to get some help but after someone else helped test my config
and got the same result the suggestion was a iptables/netfilter bug.

I've read on a couple of sites that this 'problem' has also been seen
with xen and openstack type setups and the solution is to disable
iptables for bridges or use NOTRACK.

I'm curious if anyone can explain if this is expected behaviour or
maybe is actually a bug ?

Thank you.