Netfilter matching modules and revisions

Hello all,

I have a question about revision of a match netfilter module.

There are sevral match netfilter modules which have revisions in the
sense that there
are multiple xt_match objects in that module, with different values
.revision   = 1, .revision   = 2, .revision   = 3 and so on.

In most cases diffrent revisions of the same xt_match object
have different handler, for match or checking match or both, and for
other handlers.

What triggers using a revision (when there is more than one xt_match
object in a given module) when running a module ?

To be more specific:
For testing I am using recent net-next kernel (4.4), and I am setting
the following simple
iptables rule:

iptables -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED -j ACCEPT

Now I added printk messages in the contrack matching module,
net/netfilter/xt_conntrack.c, in the matching methods for revisions 1,
2, and 3 respectively;
namely, in conntrack_mt_v1(),  conntrack_mt_v2() and conntrack_mt_v3(), but
I get messages only from conntrack_mt_v3().

Any idea what can determine which revision is chosen for a match
handler ? is it the highest possible ? Suppose I want to use revision
2
or revision 1 for the conntrack matching module: is it doable ? could
I set it somehow ? should I revert to older kernels which did not have
revision 3 for
using revision 2, (and older kernels without revision 2 to use revision 1)?

Regards,
Kevin