Re: Configure ICMP error source address

On 08.01.2016 10:31, Robert Sander wrote:
Is it a good idea to develop a kernel patch that makes it possible to
select the first IPv4 address on dev lo with scope global as the source
address for ICMP errors? Would that do any harm to the Internet at large?

I think the way to go is to have a ip rule option in which the admin can add routes which get consulted only by the icmp source address determination logic. I can assume that some other installations use other interface number logic or multiple public addresses. This kind of lookup seems to allow all possible lookup scenarios.

Thoughts?

Hannes