Re: Problems with bridge+router setup

On 2015-12-28 19:46, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

I am not saying to use VLAN tagging. I am asking whether the
communication between the cable modem and the TV box over the LAN uses VLAN tagging, because I have seen it with a triple-play provider, and in that case it is easy to identify which packets must be bridged : those
with a VLAN tag.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding.  Is there any way I could find out?
The supplier (Telenet) isn't communicating much on what it is doing between
its Set-Top_Boxes and the cable-modem, but putting them behind a router
does break the interactive functions (and hence also video-on-demand).

Would passing all ARP requests and broadcast frames be dangerous from a
security point-of-view?

It depends what your security requirements are. Beyond security, it
could disrupt normal operations of the hosts on the network.

Well, my security needs are pretty simple: nothing from the Internet (so
the cable-modem) should be able to get to anything on a host of type A
(unless being forwarded through iptables of course).  But I'm pretty
paranoia ...

When I now think about it, I guess this will never be 100% safe: possibly
the cable-modem could be hacked and since the B client (digital STB) is
directly reachable from the cable-modem, that one could also be compromised
and then just giving it an extra IP address within my LAN range, would
allow access to the LAN ... Perhaps I need to rethink the original idea
completely ...  I assume setting up a VLAN for the B clients could
address this, but then I would need something more complex than a simple
switch near the clients, correct?

Thanks,