Re: nftables: bridge filter with queue to userspace

Martin Gröger <mgroeger1@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >- NFQA_PAYLOAD maintains illusion of disabled/non-existant VLAN hw
> >offload, i.e. we insert it into NFQA_PAYLOAD between mac and network
> >header.
> Sorry, I don't understand this. The VLAN header is (if exists) after
> the source MAC. If a paket is bridged, I would expect, that the VLAN
> header is kept unchanged. I would expect to find the VLAN header
> exactly there! Is this wrong?

Yes, there is no VLAN header, its removed (usually by hardware offloads)
and stored in meta data only.

Thats why I think we should transparently re-insert when sending
the copy to userspace.

(I.e. undo what hardware offloads did).

> >- NFQA_HWADDR attribute is not present (redundant, we have this in
> >   NFQA_PAYLOAD).
> >>As far as I understand this would be sufficient for my usecase,
> >>since I want simply to inspect the packets and then decide to accept
> >>or drop them.
> >Yes, in fact I think we should just ignore reroute (bad idea) or rebridge
> >(what would be the use case of this...?)
> >
> >If someone really needs to be able to resend/relay packet they could do
> >this in userspace or just use PRE_ROUTING since thats before bridge
> >asks the FDB for the output port.
> >
> >We could add bridge_me_harder to pick another output device for queueing
> >in BRIDGE OUTPUT but I have no idea why one would want such feature.
> >
> I'm currently trying to understand the structure.
> So to add the missing parts:
> - there is no change in the nftable kernel modules necessary?

Not to nftables but to nfnetlink_queue module (and to bridge netfilter
kernel part).

> - there are changes in the nftnl library necessary?

No, unless we add extra attribute e.g. for vlan header but I'd like
to avoid it.

> - there are changes in nft necessary?

No, nft side should already work just fine.

> Only Pablo_nftables-osd-userday-2013.pdf and
> Nftables-osd-2013-developer.pdf.
> Is there somethimg more to read to get an better understanding of nftables?

Sorry, not that I know of.  Perhaps Patrick or Pablo have more
information available somewhere.