iptables 1.4.21 'transient' error

I recently bumped Smoothwall to 1.4.21. Now I am seeing the error "commit failed on table mangle: Resource temporarily unavailable" during system boot. I know what is being executed; it always worked on the previous version (1.4.14). And it works OK when I bounce the links after startup. It only fails during boot, and possibly only under certain conditions.

What exactly is this message telling me? That some parts of netfilter are slow to initialize? That 1.4.21 has interlocks that cause failure instead of delay in the case of concurrent access? I need some clues to figure out what's happening and how to work around (or otherwise avoid) the problem.

Thanks!
Neal