Re: Feature suggestion ...

On Sun, 6 Sep 2015, Akshat Kakkar wrote:

> With latest addition of storing skbinfo (mainly skbprio) in ipset and
> then applying it later to the traffic as and when it passes the iptables
> ruleset, it becomes relatively easy and simple to do traffic shaping.
>
> IMHO what one of the feature set which we can add is to have an ipset of
> only fwmarks i.e. fw-marks will be hashed and stored in the ipset and
> then later using these marks we can instantly (in single look up) set
> traffic class.

You can already store skbmark in the set element extension and set the
mark value to the matching packets.

> Motivation for this is the fact that just reading the mark can signify
> which fw rule it belongs to (no matter how complex was that firewall
> rule). So if we do traffic shaping based on marks, it becomes
> straightforward traffic shaping for that fw rule. Now as no of rules
> increase, this lookup will also increase linearly and
> more-importantly, we cant take advantage of any statefulness over
> here, i.e. if there are 100 rules then everytime my packet will have
> to go down 100 lines, get it matched, get its skbprio value and then
> move forward.

Sorry, but I don't undestand this...

> however, if we such an ipset as I am mentioning, so all these skbprio
> settings and all can always be done in single shot,
>
> say we make something like
> ipset -N MARK-TC-MAP hash:mark skbinfo
>
> iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j SET --map-set MARK-TC-MAP src --map-prio

...and your example doesn't help either. Why do you need the set at all?
You could simply write

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j MARK --set-mark value

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary