Re: Source NAT in POSTROUTING chain for locally generated packets

The situation is unclear. In your previous reply, you wrote :

> Since I so not filter on existing state, the packet should not be dropped
> anyway.

The NAT table can drop the packet by itself when the clash with an
existing connection cannot be avoided (usually by changing the source
port automatically). Here, the existing connection is the one created by
the incoming packet. However, the SNAT rule does not force the source
port, this should not happen.

>> What was the full tcpdump command used ?
>
> Yes. tcpdump should have captured the package.
>
>> Any filters ?
>
> No filters at all.

If you did not set any filters in tcpdump, it should indeed have
captured the outgoing packet. What have you changed ?

What is your real goal ?
My guess is that you want to SNAT the outgoing packet so that it looks
like the expected reply for the client. IMO this is the wrong way of
doing things. Instead you should consider using DNAT (or maybe REDIRECT)
on the original request packet to redirect it to the  primary address of
the server, 192.168.56.101, so that the reply packet from that same
address is considered as part of the same connection and is
automatically de-NATed with the original address.

A better fix would be that the server sends the reply from the same
address as the one it received the request on. If the echo service is
part of inetd, that can be done in inetd.conf by specifying the local
address to use.

192.168.56.16:echo     dgram   udp     wait    root    internal