nftables&iptables coexistence

Hi,

I would like to start using nftables, but I'm playing with a headless
box and it would be too inconvenient if I locked myself out, so let me
ask this one safety question before I start experimenting. I have lots
of iptables rules. If I compile nftables into my kernel, and also
leave iptables there, and reboot, what will happen? Will packets go
through both iptables and nftables? In what order? Without any
configuration from user space, does nftables pass along each packet
without intervention?

Please CC me, I'm not on the list.

Thanks,
Jozsef