Re: Problems to get started with nftables

Hello Michael

El 11/06/14 20:25, Michael escribió:
Dear all,

I have some problems, that might well be due to my lack of understanding
nftables: My rules look like this:

table filter {
         chain input {
                  type filter hook input priority 0;
                  icmp type { echo-request } limit rate 5/second counter accept
			      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's a single element, you don't need to use a set. You can use the rule like:

nft add rule filter input icmp type echo-request limit rate 5/second counter accept

         }
}

table ip6 filter {
         chain input {
                  type filter hook input priority 0;
                  icmpv6 type { nd-neighbor-advert, nd-neighbor-solicit, nd-router-advert } ip6 hoplimit 255 counter log prefix "log1: " accept
                  icmpv6 type { echo-request } limit rate 5/second counter accept
         }
}

table inet filter {
         chain input {
                  type filter hook input priority 1;
                  ct state { established, related } accept
			     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Also, you have used here a set but you can use the rule without the set, like that:

nft add rule inet filter input ct state established, related counter accept

                  ct state invalid counter log prefix "log2: " drop
                  iif lo accept
#                 udp sport bootps dport bootpc accept
                  counter log prefix "log3: " drop
         }

         chain output {
                  type filter hook output priority 1;
                  ct state { new, established, related } accept
                  ct state invalid counter log prefix "log4: " drop
                  oif lo accept
         }
}

What I observe when I load these rules is that the accept in the log1 line is
not enough to accept the packets. They are ultimately dropped in the log3
rule. How do I get the packets through both rule chains?

Because you have a table inet and a table ip6. The table ip6 filter
sees the ip6 traffic and the table inet filter sees the ip4 and ip6 traffic. You have defined the priority of the first chain at 0 so nftables checks the rules there and after nftables checks the rules inside of the filter chain in inet.

I suggest you to use one singles filter table like inet.

The second problem is in the
#                 udp sport bootps dport bootpc accept
line. I've seen examples with this syntax, but it's not accepted for me. What
is the correct syntax to filter on both dport and sport? I've tried using and
or &, but that didn't work either.

The rules is like that:

nft add rule filter input udp sport bootps udp dport bootpc accept

And finally: Is there a way to match the destination mac address of an
incoming packet?

You must to add a rule with ether like this:

nft add rule filter input ether daddr 20:16:d8:a2:59:33 counter

I hope that I have explained correctly and I have helped you

Regards

Álvaro